2012-12-22

Cele mai asteptate titluri fantasy in 2013


The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle #3)
Peter V. Brett is the perfect example of a modern fantasy author. He knows his world inside out, his characters are so well-rounded that it is impossible to class them as good or evil, and his writing is some of the most atmospheric and powerful you will ever come across. Peter V. Brett, along with Brent Weeks, sparked my love of modern fantasy and his bringing the genre up to date has done the same for thousands of others. Nothing in Peat’s books could be classified as cheesy…almost all of it can be considered ‘cool’. Book three looks to expand the world even further and with the revelation in book two that the unintelligent evil was actually intelligent evil, we’ve got a lot to look forward to. Without doubt, The Daylight War is my most anticipated fantasy novel of 2013 and I was glad to hear so much of the community agreed with me.
 The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks (Lightbringer #3)
Having been a HUGE fan of Brent Weeks’s The Night Angel Trilogy, I was one of the first people to review Brent Weeks’s Black Prism. I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed. To me The Night Angel Trilogy was one of the finest examples of character and action driven fantasy I’ve ever come across. Black Prism seemed to take too long to get going, probably because the politics and the magic system were so unique and complex. Book two though took my breath away. The characters were developed tenfold, the magic system really came into its own and Brent’s writing was better than ever – and that’s saying something. The series was originally set for three books, but Brent extended it to four in order to give the series the ending it needs. After reading book two this year – I’m absolutely cannot wait.
 Emperor of Thornsby Mark Lawrence (The Broken Empire #3)
Without doubt, along with Douglas Hulick listed above, Mark Lawrence is one of the finest authors to crop up since I’ve been working on this site. Mark has beautiful prose, he pushes boundaries and has somehow created a character who is so detestable to some that his books are unreadable and yet so intriguing and even loved by others that his books are un-put-down-able.
This is the third and final book that will bring this fantastic trilogy to a close. I’m looking forward to it as much as I’m dreading it. As much as I want to see what happens, I’m really going to miss Mark’s protagonist Jorg and the world that Mark has built around him.

The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan (Riyria Chronicles #1)
Michael J. Sullivan is one of self publishing’s biggest success stories. His self published Riyria Revelations series sold thousands upon thousands of books before Orbit took notice and signed Michael up last year. Having read Michael’s work, I have to say that I’m hugely impressed and a great admirer for all that he has achieved. His books take a step back from the current complex, mainstream fantasy and go back to that lighter, more adventure orientated fantasy that was popular in the late eighties and early nineties (with far better prose and character development!). You know when you pick up a Michael J. Sullivan book that it’s going to be a quick, entertaining read that doesn’t require you to think too much – and I love that.

BOOKS THAT PROBABLY WON’T BE OUT IN 2013, BUT WE WISH THEY WERE!

The Doors of Stone by Patrick Rothfuss (Kingkiller Chronicles #3)
The Winds of Winter by George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire #6)







Niciun comentariu: